Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Odwalla Bug Farm

I usually eat a granola bar for breakfast. It's quick, simple and cheap. I ran out of granola bars yesterday, but luckily I found an Odwalla bar in the pantry. Great, kinda like a granola bar (just a bit more hefty than the ones I usually eat) and it's free since I already own it. I bring it to work and begin the efforts of trying to open it. It's stubborn, but I have scissors. I clip off the end and a tiny flea sized bug (but not a flea) comes flying out. Ugh! As I look closer I realize I know this bug. He and a thousand of his closet relatives were the ones that I battled with at my condo. I don't know what they are, but I do know that I have yet to find a way to actually get rid of them. Here's a listing of all the things that DON'T work: roach traps, bleach, no open food/crumbs, flea/roach bombs, and professional pest exterminators. Anyway, I was happy to leave the little things behind when I moved out of there. And now, months later, one is sitting on my desk kicking it’s legs happily in the air at me. At this point I'm more than a bit curious about what else is in this thing. I carefully tilt the package up and look in. Oh yeah! It's an entire Odwalla Bug Farm! Complete with tiny maggot looking things, a fine dust of eaten and pooped out odwalla and a whole bunch of adults moving around on their daily missions. I check the expiration date and find that I should have eaten it last year, but still that's no excuse for what I'm looking at. Needless to say I did not eat the Odwalla Bug Farm and once I got home I carefully opened and inspected the other two expired odwalla bars that I still had. But sadly/luckily they were free of infestation. Just so amazing to me that they managed to get in a closed package and then create an entire colony. On a happy note I don't think any of them left the colony since I couldn't find any traces of them in the pantry. Steve now claims that he will never eat an odwalla bar again, I on the other hand saved the other two that I had left that hadn't expired. :)

4 Comments:

At 8:17 AM, July 27, 2006, Blogger Jill said...

Fruit flies?

 
At 12:44 PM, July 27, 2006, Blogger mj said...

Nope...they don't fly. Look like small little black bugs with like 6 legs...

Next time I have a moment I'll scour the internet and see if I can't find out who they are!

 
At 12:46 PM, July 27, 2006, Blogger mj said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:52 AM, August 03, 2006, Blogger Jill said...

grody

 

Post a Comment

<< Home